News

Keshia Clukey, “Rare African American Family Photo Albums Give Glimpse of 19th Century Albany: Historical Treasure Found in University of Michigan Collection.” Albany Times Union. July 27, 2015.

“The Best of our Knowledge.” With Bob Barrett. WAMC Radio. June 19, 2015.

“University Students Uncover the Secrets of Old African American Photo Albums.” Journal of Blacks in Higher Education. June 17, 2015.

“The Arabella Chapman Project.” Stateside with Cynthia Canty. WUOM/Michigan Radio. June 15, 2015.

“The Arabella Chapman Project.” African Roots Podcast. June 5, 2015.

“The Arabella Chapman Project.” All Over Albany. June 4, 2015.

“U-M Students Uncover Story Behand 19th-century African American “Selfies.” Black Art in America, June 3, 2015.

Taylor Gordon, “Old Photo Album Offers an Unexpected Glimpse Into the Lives of African-Americans During the Nineteenth-Century,” Atlanta Black Star. June 1, 2015.

Sydney Hawkins, “U-M Students Uncover Story Behind 19th-century African American “Selfies.”” University of Michigan News Service. May 29, 2015.

Bill Castanier, “Touching History: The William L. Clements Library Offers a Window into the Nation’s Past,” City Pulse (Lansing, MI,) March 11, 2015.

“The Arabella Chapman Project.” University of Michigan, Institute for the Humanities. March 10, 2015.

Martha S. Jones, “Why We Still Need Black History Month, Even Though #28daysarenotenough.” CNN. February 25, 2015

Clayton Lewis, “In the Classroom: Photography and African American Identity.” Clements Library Chronicle. February 11, 2015.

4 Responsesso far.

1. This is a WONDERFUL project with a spectacular website. We will share it broadly as an example of the value and significance of photographic albums. My field is photograph conservation. If I can help with process identification (it seems from the images that there are albumen, gelatin and possibly collodion print images in addition to the tintypes) or preservation questions, do not hesitate to contact me. If any of the students are interested in pursuing the field of photograph conservation following this rich, hands-on experience I am happy to help in that regard too. Best, Debbie

• Martha Jones says:

Dear Debbie,

Thanks so much for taking such a careful look at the albums. We appreciate your expertise. And your comments lead me to think we should be more specific about the photograph types. That’s an excellent recommendation for revisions this fall.

Thanks again!

2. I made a memorial for Arabella on Find A Grave. Maybe relative will go looking there to find information about her or her family. Do you mind posting one of her pictures on the memorial? Thank you. Great project by the way. I loved learning about all the people in the albums.

I’ve asked someone to look for her headstone.
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=chapman&GSiman=1&GScid=63827&GRid=149574775&

• Martha Jones says:

Thanks! We haven’t yet met anyone from the Chapman-Miller family, but we hope that we will. So your idea of an entry on Find a Grave is a terrific clue. Yes, we’ll go ahead and put a photo there. A field trip to the Albany Rural Cemetery is on our list of things to do. It’s great to meet you here!